Rembrandt's "Belshazzar's Feast"

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Venting

I am trying to decide if it's a generational thing, but it seems to me that people are becoming increasingly self important. Maybe those people just bug me. Shrinks say that if you need to tell/show how great you are, then you are pretty small inside. Actually, it isn't really that those people number even as much as 10% of the population, but I am just very aware of them. I need to just ignore more. It seems that everyone is ADHD, and I think this program is making me become that way. I am simultaneously reading so many different things and thinking about so many different projects that it becomes confusing. I do think it is a mistake to explore works for too long which are believed to demonstrate concepts: we need to cover more ground. I think it occurs to satisfy instructors' needs--keep them in their comfort zone longer. I do find connections endlessly between different areas that I am exploring.

1 comment:

StryderLee: edupunk said...

multi-tasking and hypertextual thinking are convenient and powerful activities, but i wonder whether we need to be operating at this level of hectic engagement as constantly as we do...what drives us to attempt to cram our minds full at every possibility?

i enjoy and use these behaviors frequently but i find myself constantly having to resist the temptation to constantly stuffing my head *as if* i could ever contain it all...perhaps we've not yet come to terms with the impossibility of obtaining and using "all knowledge"...

Here's a recent NPR story about how multi-tasking affects the brain:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=7700581

When I'm stressed to my limit feeling pressured to 'achieve' this or that and to 'know' or have read everything ever written about a subject before venturing any comment, I remember the word of Rumi:

"In the Great Mystery that is, we don't really own anything. What is this competition we feel then as we go, one at a time, through the same gate?"