Rembrandt's "Belshazzar's Feast"

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Summer thoughts

I am increasingly aware of the extensions that technology brings to humans--truly we are extending our own sensory and mental functions through use of technology. It is astonishing to observe the frequency of technology in use. Every other person I pass is wired (or wireless) in some fashion--actually it is far greater than 50%. I have become interested also in the writers of past eras (most notably mid-twentieth centruy) understanding and use of such extensions in the media field. Some of them, like Nancy Hale, avoided media on a steady basis, like television, never owning one, although she accepted visual and enjoyed visual media in the form of film and theatre. Other authors appear to have manipulated media forms for their own devices. I have not accomplished as much this summer as I had wished, but I am ready to focus my energies again.

No comments: